Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The Wig Game

Today for the first time, I lied about wearing a wig. Not because I am ashamed or embarrassed, but because sometimes, that's just not a conversation I feel like having with some jackhat on a bus who loudly asks me (in a semi-shady way) "How'd you get your hair so curly?" I have been asked that question before (once by some random while I was helping a customer at the front counter at work). I appreciate the admiration of my wig-making game...because it is indeed On Point. However, Random Chick on the Bus, I can't tell if you're trying to put me on blast or are geniunely curious, both of which are bothersome in their own way because well, Black women's hair can be a sensitive issue and wig-wearing, while not unique to us, is kinda of a low-key thing. And sometimes, you as a non-black person just need to settle your curiousity with a fucking Google search and not a loud inquiry on public transit. So I will tell you all about the Shea Moisture products I use on my natural hair to make my curls pop. You just don't need to know I don't use them on the curls you happen to see.

No comments: