Sunday, November 25, 2012

Napptural Hair

So I have decided that I am going to take my hair on a healthy hair journey. I plan to develop a hair care regimen that is healthy and will, hopefully, grow my hair back in its bare spots. I have been doing a LOT of research on these here interwebs trying to find out information and tips. YouTube is a wealth of information on African American hair. There are a ton of divas out there doing great things on natural, relaxed, and weave hair. I have spent much of this little vacation of mine (and a few weeks before) watching videos and visiting blogs. Heck, YouTube is there reason I decided to try making my own wig (SUCCESS!!!). Did I cover that already? As I'm in the middle of this post, I can't check, but if not, please know that I made a wig. Actually, I've made TWO. It was bananas-easy (which is why I made two). Truth be told, I can hardly wait to get more hair and try another style since both of the ones I made are kinda practically the same...but different. I think I already covered the wig-making and just need to post the pics. In due time, y'all. Anyway. This healthy hair business is NO JOKE. There is so much to learn and so much to figure out. As with UN-healthy hair, there are a billion products out there and I just need to figure out which ones will work best to regrow my hair and KEEP it healthy once that happens. One of the things I think I'm gonna try first is taking biotin. It's a vitamin supplement that supposedly stimulates hair growth. One step I've already taken is to start taking my multivitamin (and my vitamin D) again. Granted, I only started today, but I really want to make sure I take those on a DAILY BASIS from now on. Another step I am attempting is to DRINK MORE WATER. Apparently, one may suffer from a lot of acne breakouts if she doesn't drink enough water when taking the biotin. I'm too old for that crap and besides, I really need to drink more water anyway. Since I started working at MGM, I have really been slacking on that. I drank hella more water at Town Square because they actually had filtered water dispensers in the break areas. There are fountains at MGM, but they're not filtered and Minneapolis city water has a funny, metallic taste to me that is really off-putting. However, it IS clean water and I just need to suck it up because it can't be any worse for me that my daily Coke Zero intake. I have been really looking into the different types of natural oils and butters I can use. I think my next purchase will be either castor oil or coconut oil. I also want to get some shea butter or avocado butter. And aloe vera gel. Heck, maybe I'll just head up to one of the ethnic markets and get myself a big ole can of EVOO, as it is apparently a great oil to use on hair (and I can still cook with it!). I still need to grasp concepts like pre-pooinng and co-washing and moisturizing and sealing and well, my natural hair styling options. I haven't even bothered much with the hair typing business. Balding is currently my type and I just want to work on that for now.

No comments: