Monday, November 26, 2012

My Homemade 'Dos

Wig #1 made with Outre Premium Duby in color 1B. This is 100% human hair. I placed the tracks practically right on top of each other. I used about a 1 and a little over a 1/2 pack to complete the look. I used two wig caps (because someone in one of the videos did) over a shower cap. It took me about 2 hours to complete (that included a break to rewatch a tutorial vid to figure out the crown). I razored the bangs to get it out of my eye. I barely touched it with a flat iron because I am awful at styling my hair. Ugh! Gotta work on that. Right now, it looks kinda Keith Partridge (not in the pics...or maybe?) which is kinda not what I was going for even though it works on me. Oh, also I used the closure that I bought with the hair. Purchased from www.samsbeauty.com. Fastest shipping ever (even if you have a crappy mail carrier). I ain't mad at myself! Wig #2 made with Model Model Pose in 1B. It too is pre-bumped hair. I bought it at Bling Bling off Lake & Chicago. This is a 100% human hair mastermix...which means it is not 100% human hair. I only used one wig cap over the shower cap this time. I placed the tracks about a finger-width apart on this one, so it isn't as puffy as the first. It also has a little more body and feels a little silkier. The color is a lot darker. I only used one pack and used a bit of the remaining Outre hair to complete the front. I actually split the Outre track which was ridiculously easy and I made my own closure this time (all these FIRSTS!). The Pose tracks aren't double-wefted so I didn't need to split them. Overall, I like this one best so far. The layering looks a little better. I still have a pack of the Pose and a bit of the Outre as well. I want to try another with straight hair. I am coming to realize that I might have been doing a piss-poor job of caring for the sew-in I had which may explain why it turned into a rat's nest. I still have no plans to buy that crappy hair again. I think I will go with Lillian's original suggestion of the Onyx Black Diamond hair (which is cheaper anyway). Gonna have to keep an eye out for sales on hair. Buying online is not a bad deal, but sometimes when you factor in shipping I may as well just hit Bling Bling. On the stocking cap issue. I would not use two again. I also wouldn't lay the tracks so close. I think the first wig might be shrinking a tad. On the second wig, I pulled the cap down pretty low and I started the tracks a little above the nape. Since I have a long bang, it's not a big deal. Also, I can push it up a little to hide it. So I'm pretty dang proud of myself, y'all. I am really excited to do this again and experiment with styles and colors. Stay tuned for new looks.

No comments: