Wednesday, November 07, 2012

This is my confession

Okay, not really. I have worn braids in my hair for about 15 years, so fake hair ain't no thang. Before that, I was doing my own relaxers at home. Needless to say, all that has taken a mighty toll on my hair. That toll has come in the form of massive hair loss. I'm balding, y'all. While my hair in the back is still relatively thick, the top is extremely thin and well, the front is holding on tight to just a few strands. Once I took my last braids out (braids I kept in so long they had started to dred which I didn't mind until I cut the braids off and realized my shit did not look like Lauren Hill's), I decided that weaves were the way to go. I got a weave about a month and a half ago and initially, I loved it. However, over the course of the last few weeks, I've come to hate this thing. The hair I paid $60 for is a tangled, lifeless mess. Since I don't have another $200 to spend (the stylist charged me about $160 and she didn't even give me the exact style I wanted), I've decided to supplement in the meantime with wigs. I was (am?) kinda nervous about the wig thing. I associate wigs with my Auntie. However, after doing A LOT of research, I have selected 4 that I think will look nice while I save up for the cute little bump weave that I want. I bought a couple longer styles the other day and I expect them to arrive tomorrow. One is a human hair straight wig and the other is synthetic with curls. I just ordered two others from a different site, one a sorta medium length and the other a bob-type dealy. I'm hoping I like them and that it won't be too weird wearing them. I shouldn't be so self-conscious, but I am. However, there really is no shame to it. The only really shameful part is that I am doing this because my self-consciousness before led me to over-relax my hair and not to let it rest between braid sessions. So that's my confession. I'm officially a wig-wearing old lady now.

No comments: